Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquake

Was napping early this afternoon, and when I got up, the Internet was abuzz with news of a 5.9 earthquake centered in Virginia, between DC and Richmond, and apparently felt by many here in Cincinnati, though not by me.

Apparently, the ground around my house must have some shock-absorbing sponginess about it, because this quake did not, as you can see, even knock the Charmin off the edge, even though it was perched precariously on the edge of the table. Nor was my collection of bobbleheads disturbed. Everything in the pictures is in exactly the same position it was in last night. Also, Pixel, my cat, who was inside at the time, did not seem to notice anything amiss.

Reading others' description of the quake made me feel a little like Monty Python's Ralph Melish (link to YouTube is audio only):
"June the 4th, 1973, was much like any other summer's day in Peterborough, and Ralph Melish, a file clerk at an insurance company, was on his way to work as usual when... (da dum!) Nothing happened! (dum dum da dum)"

I'm certainly not complaining about missing this event, mind you. After some flood damage to carpets in my house earlier this year, I could certainly do without an earthquake. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment