Thursday, July 14, 2011

Google+

[I posted this on Facebook (where at least for now, I have a wider audience) as a Note, it occurred to me I might want to post it here, too.]

Fiddling around with Google+ -- not a whole lot there yet. For one thing, rather few of my friends are early adopters of this sort of thing, so few people that I know, aside from James Allen (thanks for the invitation, James!), a few science fiction writers, and 1 or 2 other local friends, not many people that I know personally are there yet. Unless and until that happens, it's hard to get a feel for how well this compares to FB.

I haven't yet seen a way to sort the Stream (equiv. to News Feed) from Most Recent. The "Circles" are an interesting idea, but until more people come on board, I'm not sure how, or how well, it will work. Likewise for integrating Google+ with other Google services, such as Gmail. There are no games (yet, anyway) like Farmville or Mafia, which I consider a feature, not a bug. ;-)

So anyway, it looks promising, but it still needs work. If anyone wants an invitation, either FB message me (include your email address), or send me an email. :-)

ETA: One of the great features of Google+ is that you can edit your post (or "status" as FB calls it), rather than having to add a correction as a comment or new status. I never understood why FB couldn't include such a simple function.

No comments:

Post a Comment